Art Meets Science
Scientific artists or artistic scientists?
By: Jennifer Delaney Instagram: @JvcDelaney
1) Jennifer, would you say you are an artist first and a scientist second, or a scientist first and an artist second?
I have a BSC Hons in Marine Science but I work as a Maths teacher. I create art in my spare time. I’m very happy that I can teach maths for a living and be creative in my spare time. I’ve always had an interest in science and science communication. I love teaching Maths and encouraging both my students and my children to appreciate science, especially through art. I was raised in rural Co.Donegal, Ireland on the banks of the Lough Swilly. Here I swam and enjoyed the outdoors as a youth.
2) What led you to pick science as your theme?
I was always fascinated by the wonders of microscopic life and the pleasure you get when you view something under the microscope for the first time.
3) Do you have goals with what you do like educate, inspire, stimulate curiosity, or do you do it for yourself?
My goal is to inspire and educate people who like to colour about the world that exists under the lens. Many people love to colour, especially since adult colouring has become in vogue. I’d like people to discover microorganisms though using my colouring book.
4) What aspect of science do you focus on?
I especially love drawing species of plankton. Many of the organisms in my colouring book are phytoplankton or zooplankton. These tiny species are affect by our changing climate. I’d love people to recognise these organisms and enjoy their beauty though colouring. Each colouring page is supported by text which gives an insight into how these organisms function and live.
5)What kind of media do you prefer?
I prefer to use fineliners to create my artwork. These create the tidy lines required for colouring books. When not creating colouring books I prefer chalks, charcoal or pastels. In the future plan to use Illustrator to create digital art.
6) What is your favorite piece? (Article Image up above).
7) Do you sale your art? Do you take commissions? Do you have etsy store, or other social media accounts you show art on? If so how would people contact you to talk about these things?
I sell my colouring book on Amazon. https://t.co/hpomd29W8Y
My husband and I have an ETSY shop also. https://www.etsy.com/ie/shop/GrandaTom?ref=l2-shopheader-name
8) Where are you from
I am from Donegal, Ireland.